PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NAS apathy
Thread: NAS apathy
View Single Post
Old 19th Feb 2003, 04:45
ulm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Neddy

Didn't say the small end (or me) wanted a freebie. What I said was, you guys seem to be concerned over potential collisions wbetween VFR and IFR(???) aircraft. The ADSB system will fix this.

The only time I mentioned a freebie was when I said that AsA might as well pay for CDTI as well and get a big safety bonus at very little extra cost.

The real winners with ADSB will be the Regional guys operating in and out of CTAFs or below 10,000. Their gain will be peace of mind, more flexible operations and much higher safety levels.

You will only get that peace of mind if the vast majority of what flies is fitted. If you say 'user pays' and then define the user as the owner of the aircraft you fit it in, then most stuff below 5700KG won't be fitted and you are back to sweating in a CTAF.

So, since it is AsA that will save on radar upgrades, it is AsA that can pay to fit ADSB. It should be that way because the 'safety of the travelling public' is their concern, not the concern of a C150 owner!!!

And if you think you can force PVT opertors to fit it, 'mandatory ELTs' nyer nyer!!! :P