PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lionair plane down in Bali.
View Single Post
Old 14th Apr 2013, 00:27
Luke SkyToddler

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I'm surprised it hasn't already come up on this thread given the amount of P2F bashing but it's been heavily discussed elsewhere on the wannabe's pages, apparently Lion Air introduced an SOP last year that Captain makes all the landings and FO is not allowed to touch the controls below 5000'.

Not that it necessarily makes a difference - when I was in the mid east I flew with with some very high time skippers from Indonesia (and a few other bastions of aviation safety like Liberia and Cameroon ) and some of them were an absolute menace to safety. Just because you've got 10,000 hours flogging thrashed, illegally maintained, overloaded, 1960s vintage cargo Antonovs, doesn't mean you know jack about how to correctly operate a brand new Boeing or 'Bus.

In my turboprop days in the UK I also flew with some green as grass (albeit well trained) 200 hour cadets and they were some of the best pilots I've ever shared a flight deck with. If I had to choose one or the other to land a plane when the sh!t was hitting the fan, it would be no contest.