PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lionair plane down in Bali.
View Single Post
Old 13th Apr 2013, 22:44
Diamond Bob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 413X3
There have been a lot of incidents in America without any P2F schemes, so I personally don't see why anyone can just blame that. None of the Colgan Q400 people were P2F either, in fact both had thousands of hours tt. Which is strange since that accident led to total time minimum legislation, even though both pilots had far above the mins. It just seems like the easy way out to blame low time pilots instead of a just get on the ground culture, bad maintenance, impatient and authoritarian captains, fatigue and work hours, etc.
As I remember, the captain in the Colgan Buffalo crash, Marvin Renslow, was P2F with Gulfstream. I would say that this allowed an incompetent pilot to end up in control of the Q400. The crash had three major causes:
1. Renslow's apparent lack of knowledge of the Q400 anti-ice system and the implications of setting the REF SPEEDS switch.
2. Failure to report his configuration correctly (anti ice activated) and the resultant incorrect setting of the bug speeds.
3. Incorrect response to the stick shaker which caused the aircraft to stall and crash.

Sounds like an incompetent P2F graduate to me.