PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lionair plane down in Bali.
View Single Post
Old 13th Apr 2013, 22:13
Bumps

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No, you don't.
Lufthansa will test you, and then you will have to sign a contract, making you liable to pay back for the training, once you get hired. You don't pay back, if you don't get hired within 5 years after completion of your training. There is MPL, but no P2F at all.
And with MPL, I was very doubtful. But now I get a lot of new FOs, with MPL liscences, and they do leave the Sim with more than 100h on type, undergo a linetraining of more than 100 sectors with checkpilots. All after a thorough training in LH flight academy.
They of course have no experience, but what on earth would change that? Time would.
Also working for a regional subsidary of LH, I have flown withlots of new FOs with a background of many hours of small aircraft flying (like Cessnas on minor routes to the Islands in the northern sea). Actually I found them performig worse in a jet then the cadets. They were expected to get the hang of a jet in minimum time, and just couldn't. And the experience of working in a highly productive environment was nil.

Nic
You're not seeing what I'm saying. I am not defending P2F, I despite it. I also agree with you on MPL, it's a great way to get new guys in to the RHS in minimum time while teaching them from the ground up about the operation of their respective aircraft. I only wish they'd spend a bit more than 80 hours in an actual airplane, but I digress. What I am saying, in a nutshell, is that training is key for First Officers, not necessarily experience. I will not dispute your claim that you've flown with lower performing FO's @ LH Regional, but I firmly believe that low houred pilots are not a liability (If trained and tested to a certain standard, as seems to be the case in greater Europe). It's a proven concept, and has worked for legacy carriers as well as LCC's for a long time, so long as training is up to standards. It doesn't have to be an MPL, you and I both know that most LH co-pilots are people who graduated from the Lufty Academy with a mere fATPL and went straight in to a jet with 250hrs. We also know that Lufthansa has a great safety record. Same goes with all the airlines I listed above - FR, EZY, BA, TCX, TOM, EK, DY and the list just goes on and on.

Perhaps this is not the thread for this discussion though, because even though I find the fact that Lion Air is a source for the appalling P2F concept, we do not have any facts in hand as is. As another poster noted, even a paranoid can have real enemies.