PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lift due curvature of the earth?
View Single Post
Old 13th Apr 2013, 18:41
Natstrackalpha

Location: Not far from the edge of the Milky Way Galaxy in the Orion Arm.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

No, guys listen, I am sure I`ve got it sussed.

Take a circle . . . .draw a circle. Let this be the Earth, say. Then imagine a point called . . .I dunno, London, say. Now draw a straight line from the centre of the Earth to the point called London. (on the surface of the circle)

Now go, say 50 degrees along the surface and call it 50deg West.

Draw a straight line from the centre of the circle, again to the point called 50deg West. Da-daaa!

See?!? Measure the Earth Surface distance from London to 50deg West, its so many centimetres on your drawing, right?

Now, measure the distance at a higher altitude above the surface, see?

Its further! Because the angle coming out of the centre of the Earth is getting wider and wider all the time . . . .so?

So, to do (60x50=3000) to do 3,000 on the surface is shorter than doing 3000 at a mega high altitude, for these purposes say 35000 feet.

That is why they have found discepencies in the time from London to East Coast of America and they assumed one`s body clock slowed down as we travel along.

ding!

So, had they have travelled at the same speed over the surface (they would have broken the land speed record and their backs!) there would not have been any discrepency in the time thing, thang . . .d`y`get what I mean . . ?

The maths is, even though you are travelling from A to B (London to 50 West) you are in fact travelling further when you are at altitude! So, pretending I cannot do the maths then (which is true) you have to work in dist/sp = T so, if we add more dist then it will take us longer . . . and yet we think we have only traveled from LON to 50W which is true, but we went round the houses to get there, even flying GCT.

So, whaddya say, hmm? The outside of a circle has further to travel than the inside. Its not relative, its simple.

Last edited by Natstrackalpha; 13th Apr 2013 at 19:09.