PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tips for nailing a landing?
View Single Post
Old 13th Apr 2013, 17:23
chicgeek

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tips for nailing a landing?

Hey guys,

I'm currently working through circuits for my PPL in a PA-38 and I am really struggling with the touchdown/flare, and was wondering whether anyone had any tips?

I can fly it almost perfectly to around 50ft off the ground but then for some reason I cannot for the life of me get a smooth landing without ballooning or hitting down on the nose wheel.

In an average lesson, I can get just about get 2 out of 5 landings good, but can't always visualise when to reduce power or pitch up slightly. I know there is no fool proof way as every landing is different, but as anyone got any tips to visualise when to put the nose up slightly to touchdown?

The soul destroying part is that I was doing circuits last August, but with my 2 instructors leaving (who had taught me from day one), planes uncircuitable and british weather has meant that I have had inconsistent flying (literally around 4 flights between Oct and March) despite regular booking!

Prior to my instructors leaving, I was nearly there, and with a few more hours would have nailed it, but with inconsistency its 2 steps forward, 3 steps back! My instructor assures me its only normal, but wondering if I will ever get there! (and I think my instructor is starting to despair with me too!).

I am hoping to get some good hours now that "summer" is around the corner, so just need a plan of action!

Thanks