PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Roads as runways.
View Single Post
Old 13th Apr 2013, 16:56
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The RAF seems to have a thing about not using normal runways. You would have thought with the Harrier and RAFG that they would have got over that phobia.

Back in the mid-80s I think Jules Flood, SlOps at Honington, proposed that the many disused airfields around east Anglia and east midlands be considered as bare base emergency runways. In the 60s there were a number of such emergency airfields such as Spilsby and East Kirkby but Jules's idea was to be a near zero cost option.

A party was sent from Coningsby to Swinderby and rejected the airfield out of hand saying the runway would need resurfacing, missile storage areas would need to be built, and a crew room etc etc. The BoB mentality was well and truly ignored.

If your main base is covered with persistent nerve agent and the runway has a socking great hole in the middle, a bit of rough tarmac and a landrover with a few sidewinders and a bowser would have been luxury.

Have you looked at Russian air force aircraft tractors from the cold war? Rugged ATV with capacity to carry spares and troops and tow a Flogger.