PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stall landing/Slow landing
View Single Post
Old 13th Apr 2013, 16:22
piperboy84

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As a rank amateur I think good landings are for the most part a result of a disciplined approach speed, I do my utmost to stay to the approach speeds in the POH, my particular plane does not list the approach speeds so I use the following calculations to determine what speed I should fly

Weight Stall Speed
Stall @ Gross with power in landing config from POH 2400LBS = 47 MPH
Usual landing Weight with 2 person and half tanks = 2000LBS = 42 MPH*
Stall Speed adjusted for Weight X 1.3 for final = 55 MPH
Stall Speed Adjusted for Weight X 1.25 for over the fence=53 MPH

*Weight difference = 400LBS divided by 1 MPH per 80LBS = 5MPH

Now this may be all academic due to the airspeed indicator not being worth a **** on final but its the only speed reference i have other than feel and sound. The second thing i do is keep a scan from the cowling out to the end of the strip and use peripheral vision for the edges of the runway for depth perception.

When I make an arse of it, it is usually due to a feeling of familiarity especially at my home field were I tend to get a little loose on the speeds and not do the runway end scan which normally results in either dumping it in or gliding for what I deem as to far before the plane is done flying. Also as i fly a taildragger i tend to keep a little power on for longer thru the flare to maintain a little rudder authority, which I probably would not do in a trike

Last edited by piperboy84; 13th Apr 2013 at 16:55.