PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The blessed Margaret ..
View Single Post
Old 13th Apr 2013, 15:09
Lima Juliet

Received 83 Likes on 34 Posts
I'd just like to draw a few thoughts on the reasons for the state of British Industry at the time of Maggie's rise to power. In this I include the aircraft industry, the motor industry, the coal miners, the ship builders, etc...

Watch the video below (and yes I know it is a Carry On film, but it parodies the problems of the time). You will see over zealous Unionism and very poor junior management - don't forget that a lot of the talent that earned it's spurs in leadership during the world wars had either retired or slid up the pole to senior positions. This left a void of competent leaders. Furthermore, years of disinvestment by the Company's Boards and successive Governments had left these industries in a right state. We have Maggie and her Cabinet to thank for sorting out the mess into something that worked (like it or loathe it). So it wasn't just the churlish Unions that were responsible for the state of the country.

Anyway, watch this to remember or reailse what it was like in the mid to late 1970s...

Last edited by Lima Juliet; 13th Apr 2013 at 15:11.