PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stall landing/Slow landing
View Single Post
Old 13th Apr 2013, 11:52
tecman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some wise words above. Just watch out that "fly it on gently" does not become an excuse for slack technique, with approach speeds too high. I see that with many pilots and I wouldn't mind betting it's something your instructor is trying to avoid. There's also quite a lot of incorrect folklore out there. For example, when I started flying a Comanche single, lots of people advised intermediate flap settings, faster than required approach speeds, and so on. But done correctly, it's beautiful aircraft to land in the classical slow, full flap mode - and does wonderfully on many of the short strips we have here in Oz. You do need what my instructor used to call a "chuckle" of power in the flare sometimes, but it rewards you with a great touchdown. Given the traps many people fall into, I'd be with your instructor in saying to learn to land your C172 etc in full stall mode, barring any really extreme conditions. (And, even there, watch out for the folklore. 10kt of crosswind is not excuse enough to start arbitrary increases in approach speeds, less than recommended flap settings, and so on). Excess approach speed is a really bad habit; too many people are complacent about it in both GA and recreational aviation (your "microlight" and similar community). Good luck!