PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flight deck positions at FlyDubai Master Thread - Merged
Old 12th Apr 2013, 18:47
Mrglass

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dibden Manor Assessment:

I just got done with the Dibden Manner assessments. I have limited time to write this so it's all bullet points:

- 10 in group, 3 culled after group exercises
- 7 made it through to Sims
- Mix of nationalities but at least 2 USA, 2 French, 1 Dutch, 1 German,
- Group exercises first, split into two groups of 5. Same as others have noted - we had the "stranded on the moon" scenario. Chip in, don't interrupt, use logic, work as a team, and participate.
- Other portion was 10 min presentation on how we can help FlyDubai stay top-dog during massive expansion.
- Computer sims were:
- Joystick crosshairs alone (left = left, right = right, stick aft = line up, stick fwd = line down)
- Joystick crosshairs + shapes/numbers
- Joystick corsshairs + shapes/numbers + counting backwards
- Took about 20 mins max to complete.
- I was upside down on the final test - i.e I had 7 hits and 8 Misses...thought I was done at that stage, but nailed the other computer tests so maybe they score all of them together.

- 1 on 1 interview Qs were:
- TMAAT you were in a crew that had bad CRM
- If you could go back how would you handle the situation differently?
- Tell me about an emergency where you had to trouble shoot and discover what the fault was yourself
- If you could do the situation over, would you do anything different?
- What will you bring to FlyDubai?
- Tell me about your airline history ( I queried if she meant my entire flying history, she said no...just airline...So I started with my cargo 'airline' experience then regional)
- What is your leadership style
- What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen Swallow?

Sim:
- 737-800 full motion sim. Given profiles the night before. Memorize the 4 profiles:
- Normal T/O, ILS (before FAF), ILS (after FAF), Go-Around.
- The sim is a sim....what can i say...they are looking for briefings, CRM, leadership, standard procedures, nothing crazy.
- They obviously take into account what you have flown before...i have never flown a 737-800 (I fly an E145). I also did not bone-up on the 737 in flight sim or anything like that. Basically everything i know about it came from the profile and talking to a couple other candidates who were type rated but still in our 'non-typed' group for some reason or other.
- Just apply your pilot skills!
NOTE:
- You will get ZERO feedback. not even a wink wink, nudge nudge....my sim instructor didn't even look me in the eye when i shook his hand at the end, it was all very abrupt....that got me worried, but I passed any way so try not to read into it.

- Also, I thought I did a "reasonable" job in the sim....I didn't crash! But I did blunder some profile call outs, lost more than a bit of heading during the single engine section, but I held altitude and did a good raw data ILS....keep fighting, keep correcting, keep verbalizing, use your PM and don't give up or get despondent. I truly felt I had screwed myself after the Sim...but looks like they are taking into account the whole package your present and don't expect you to ace a heavy aircraft you've never sat in before...thank god.

- Also, Be a good PM when it's your turn, speak clearly and do things deliberately and in a manner that helps out your teammate. You're in it together but they do specifically warn against 'leading' your colleague if they are slacking or not getting something....it's a fine line, but you've got to help out where you can!

Tips:
- Wear a suit, one guy did not have a jacket and was sent home...not because of that, but maybe it was a contributing factor?

- Be personable with other candidates, don't stand out as the wacky loon of the group - just be yourself.

- Have your TMAAT answers ready to go....not canned...but refresh your personal experiences so they are fresh in your mind and can be applied to a range of questions

- If you stay at Dibden Manor ensure that you are polite to all staff, they are very nice people...especially Mandy!

Ultimately - Be yourself. Communicate well. Dress smart. Be eager but not desperate. Research the company, UAE, Culture.

Oh and bite your tongue when they describe Dubai as a growing "country"....I'm sure if you corrected her during the brief you would be fast-tracked for ejection!

Hope this all helps - Will post more when/if i get done with Dubai interview.

Addendum (Other thoughts):
- The assessors did not mention that they were looking for "improvement" in the computer tests, indeed I had completely forgotten about that aspect and just did my best on each one...and as stated got the worst score on the final test! So, logic would suggest that improvement was not the only thing they were concerned with.
- I do not know why the initial 3 were culled, everyone in the group was experienced (more so than me...see my hrs at the bottom...I was probably one of the lowest time guys in there). Must have been my devilish good looks and charm.
- Dibden Manor is very nice, but you feel a bit 'enclosed'...I bailed on the 2nd night and got an external hotel, primarily to study with cohorts, but also to not be the only guy left at the Manor.
- Assessors are tuned into pilot experience, stories and situations, I strongly advise you not to fabricate stories as they will probably detect this. My examples were not particularly exciting, but they were true and I used my verbal skills to show what I learned from each event. Use your words people!
- Lots of waiting around nervously to see if you are progressing - nothing you can do about this, just talk to the other candidates - odds are there are some interesting folks there not too unlike yourself.

Enjoy the day!

My humble experience: 3100TT, 1100Jet, 2000PIC, 2500ME

Last edited by Mrglass; 12th Apr 2013 at 19:44.