PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Free upgrades... for the brazen
View Single Post
Old 12th Apr 2013, 12:40
Ancient Observer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
I used to be a properly "earnt" gold card holder on both BA and SQ as I travelled to Asia a lot. On the Asia routes, it soon became clear that HKG gave all available upgrades to staff, so fare paying pax would not get one. With Qantas, it was all about staff getting upgrades, too. As ever in Changi, with BA and SQ, things depended on relationships. I found ways of helping those relationships along.

The funniest upgrade I ever got, though was on Varig. I was part of a team doing due diligence on an acquisition in S America, and we had set up our temp offices in Sao Paulo.
We flew to SP, or to other countries, either direct from UK or via team meetings in SP.
As it was quite a large acquisition, but a small team doing due diligence, we just had to be in certain places at certain times, so if connections on Concorde via USA worked, we were allowed to take them. (Never worked for me, unfortunately).
On one Varig flight, as Club was showing full, my secretary booked me in to first, and wait listed me in Club. When it was time to go, I just grabbed my ticket and went to the airport.
Apparently, I ended up with a First booking, but a Club ticket. (and Club was full). The ticket agent chatted to his supervisor, who simply put me in First.
I thanked him and asked why, and (shame I cannot do the accent) but he said that their computer reservation system was completely and utterly useless, but no-one on staff complained in case the IT person responsible had good relationships with the bosses.........
What a way to run a Company. No wonder they went bust!!