PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Blue Formally Opposes Qantas, Air NZ Tie-Up
Old 18th Feb 2003, 20:56
frank Borman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bitter balance, I'll agree with Dixon's capital raising idea after I see his argument for it when his airline has a virtual monopoly in the region. I seem to remember thats the gist of what John Anderson said in defence of knocking it back. Like I said, I suspect Howard was all for lifting the cap, but external influences precluded it.There's alot of memo's in the bowels of Prime Minister and Cabinet that would be worth looking at under freedom of infirmation.

I think it was Paul Keating that initially set up anti-GST sentiment, not John Howard. it was leaked that labor to were going to bring it in, so Howard was no more unpopular than his labor counterpart.

This government makes a public view of saying they embrace competition, the ACCC was brought in by labor? to monitor anti-competitive behaviour. Liberal have ensured that the ACCC is nothing nore than a toothless tiger where mates of the government are concerned. Go figure.

My prediction is watch for further unpopularity of Howard now that his prime wally henchman Max Moore-Wilton is off being just as much a pirate in private enterprise as he was in PM &C.