PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Colour Blindness - Medical
View Single Post
Old 11th Apr 2013, 23:47
FlyingBlindUK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Colour Blindness - Medical

Hello Controllers,

I've been looking to become an Air Traffic Controller for a long time now and read about the requirement to pass the Ishihara Test. Sadly I discovered that I'm quite colour blind and can't see most of the numbers! I was in shock since it my visual acuity is pretty good. I suppose they're not directly related though. It doesn't affect me in real life in the least and I recently passed my driving to boot!

For those of you who are in a similar situation as me how did the interview go for you? Are they serious about colour efficiency?

Please share your experiences.

Edit @ 19/04/2013:

I called NATS and they only seem to be accepting Ishihara and CAD tests for colour vision. Surprisingly the person on the phone said that they no longer accept lantern (although NATS used to) which is odd because the European law states that in the event of the applicant failing Ishihara they will be required to do Anomaloscopy or Lantern. Therefore CAD shouldn't be allowed.

You are also allowed to take the test at City University and forward the results to NATS as City does the Ishihara, CAD, Anomaloscope and Lantern tests. This way you won't have to travel all the way to their facility only to fail (assuming City Uni is closer to you).

Edit @ 07/05/2013:

City Uni will charge you £124 + VAT for a full on eye colour test. This includes: Ishihara, AO-HRR pseudoisochromatic plates, City University (2 ed.), Farnsworth D15, Nagel Anomaloscope, Holmes-Wright lanterns type A and B, and CAD test. The tests will take one a half hours total.

Last edited by FlyingBlindUK; 7th May 2013 at 19:15.