PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATPL or CPL
Thread: ATPL or CPL
View Single Post
Old 18th Feb 2003, 20:29
woodydcfc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ATPL or CPL

Hi guys and gals just a couple of quick questions for you,
1) Do I need to do my ATPL before i do my CPL if im going to be a flight instructor,I know i need my CPL before i can earn monies,but i dont know if i need the ATPL first??
2)Is it worth me carrying on to do my ATPL considering the market at the moment,i.e how many other wannabes and quailified pilots there is out there with no job and a big hole in their pockets.
I ask these questions as im knocking on the back door of 35 years young,only 100hours tt under my belt,and just come back from the u.s,where i was talking to 2 instructors 1 who had been in the airlines for 3 months before 9/11 and is now instructing with no sign of another posting,and another instructor who had had about 3 or 4 interviews before 9/11 and hundreds of letters later nothing!!Both of these people under 30,as probably so are a lot of you lot!
So what are my chances in say about 5 years time when hopefully the market has picked up and all the airlines are taking there pick from the crop,has a 40 year old never been employed by an airline before,and seriously skint geezer like me got any real chance or should i keep picking my way thru the exams and hope for the best (right time right back) sort of thing??
Sorry about going on but coming back from America and taking stock of things has put a different light on things,
anyway thanx in advance for your imput,and the kick up the arse that i probably need
Laters,
Woody