PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Threat to doctors giving medical advice on PPRUNE
Old 11th Apr 2013, 20:02
gingernut

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not a doctor, just a pain in the arse trumped up Nurse, but I'm sure the GMC advice will filter through to the world of nursing eventually.

I can see the point of the GMC/NMC, there role after all, is to protect the public, but I've always enjoyed the relative anonymity this medium affords,which allows me to be serious on this forum, whilst spouting on about my shed, my views and life in general on Jet Blast. It looks like this will have to stop now. Mt contemporaries on "Twitter" are considering dual usernames, one reflecting their public persona, the other reflecting what they really think ! (This is a view shared by those at "the top")

I think, on balance, we probably haven't done too much harm to the readers, on the whole we are pretty good at mitigating ourselves, (if symptoms persist, go and see your quack etc), but I guess, there's always been a little niggle in my mind about accountability-as clinicians we are often tugged between accountability to our patients/employers/general public at large/civil law/criminal law/employment law/governing bodies etc. I'm always loathe to reply to PM's, as I worry about not being insured to give advice.

My knee jerk reaction was to withdraw from posting, but on reflection, I realised I actually enjoy posting on here. In some ways the reasons are selfish, M&H is quite a good reflective tool, and of course, if you give bad advice, you are mostly "peer reviewed." Sometimes what seems to be a major problem to posters, is often quite easy to solve for us.

I think I'll still post. I'm pretty sure there will be an amicable way round the rules.