PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tridents and the Autoland system
View Single Post
Old 11th Apr 2013, 16:48
JW411

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Please forgive me if I have said this before but the Smiths Autoland system as fitted to the Trident (which I never flew) and the Belfast (which I certainly did) was a very fine system and it was very accurate. It was, however, very complicated and relied on a Triplex system which worked on the principle that if any one single item failed during an autoland, then the other two systems would vote the troublemaker out of the logic and continue to a good resolution.

The big problem was that to achieve this (at the time) amazing result, the amount of equipment required to be carried was vast. the aircraft had to carry, for example, three VRUs (Vertical Reference Units), three RGUs (Rate Gyro Units), three Auto Pilots, three ILS and GS receivers and three bits of wire to every control surface.

I seem to remember that the whole lot weighed about 1,700 lbs which had to be be carried around whether you needed it or not.

All of this came before the invention of PCs, Microprocessors and the mobile phone.

Nothing that happens nowadays achieves a better result when it comes to landing in fog but I doubt that the modern equivalent weighs more than 100 lbs to achieve the same result, but it was all quite exciting at the time.