PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways Future Pilot Programme.
View Single Post
Old 11th Apr 2013, 16:00
tggzzz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4)What GCSE's and A-Level's will be advantageous for this FPP?
(I really would like a good answer for this one if possible)
This is surprisingly easy for you to answer, but not for anyone else.

Obviously you will try to guess what you want to be doing in 30 years time, and will work out what you need to do in order to get there. You will probably guess incorrectly. Trite, obvious, boring, valuable.

However, nobody knows what the future holds, so a very good strategy is to try to avoid limiting your future options. Since every choice you make will limit your future options, a useful trick is to work out which paths you will never want to follow. From that you can determine which subjects you don't mind dropping.

Alternatively, determine the subjects that you like which will be useful in a wide range of careers. I would go for science subjects, but that's irrelevant to you!

Don't forget to distinguish between what you will enjoy doing as a hobby and what you will enjoy doing in a job.

In addition, get experience in non-academic spheres; human resources droids like that, particularly anything indicating you can be a "team player". (Not really sure what they mean by that, but possibly that you don't complain about being a dogsbody.) Consider doing the Duke of Edinburgh's Award; my daughter did and it was amazingly valuable for her - and not just because she learned to fly gliders as the "skill" part of the award.