PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Australia Cadetship 2012 & 2013
View Single Post
Old 11th Apr 2013, 07:02
The Kelpie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KRUSTY 34
Jetstar tried that caper with their Cadetship. Ended in tears for JQ management.

Hopefully VA will prove to be a little more enlightened!

Yes it did, most of the HR people involved have moved onto pastures new..... or were they shown the door as the sacrificial lamb?

I see the Virgin Cadetship going the same way. As has already been said i have it on good authority that there is no cadet classification in the new VA EBA that has been voted up. I wonder whether that was deliberate?? Hmmm!!

Perhaps someone from the Afap could answer that one, or disclose whether they knew about this little arrangement??

Secondment to Skywest or not they should be entitled to terms as per the EBA covering Virgin Australia as at the end of their year in Adelaide they are only seconded to Skywest and not actually employees of Skywest.

Under a secondment they should still receive a salary from Virgin Australia as their employer with VA recovering the salary by charging Skywest by invoice. In other words they are simply 'on hire' to Skywest.

I have done a little digging, as I do, and found out that the cadets are receiving a salary, have full staff benefits (staff travel) etc. seniority??

At $50k per year for an unqualified cadet this would be higher than the award wage for a grade 2 single instructor. Anyone know if FTA pay the award? If so it is a bit of a joke when the cadets are paid more than their qualified instructors!!

More to Follow

The Kelpie

Last edited by The Kelpie; 11th Apr 2013 at 10:30.