PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NSW Air
Thread: NSW Air
View Single Post
Old 11th Apr 2013, 00:42
Trojan1981

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
50 50, It hasn't always been that way. When the AAP was separate from NSW Air, back in the late '90s-early 2000's, the AAP were regularly checked and assessed by AMSA and CASA. The SAR crew were better and the standards were much higher. This had a flow-on effect to the beach patrols, with the same crew often doing these sorties. They really did do some good work, finding missing vessels and aircraft; saving lives. I know because I personally found several of them, airdropped supplies and life-rafts and guided helicopters and ships by radio to conduct retrievals.

A whole bunch of hangers-on were attracted to the AAP during this period. Then HM bought WFTS and turned it into NSW Air. When the AMSA work was lost, NSW Air was used to support the AAP. With the role and relevance of the AAP now slipping into history, the good crews left and only the hangers-on remained. It is now a farce, completely pointless. Most of the good guys have gone onto bigger and better things. Some to the ADF, some to airlines or turbine GA, depending on their preferences.

Those left are the cheap, inexperienced or very young and very old. The crews have flown with known defects and probably still do. Half the sorties are cancelled and the guys running the show have NFI. The aircraft they operate are not even suitable for the role and there is no investment going into either company to develop and evolve. Over at the school the instructors are underpaid (like most schools I should add) and there seems to be no credible plan for capturing and securing future business. There is certainly no incentive for the instructors to stay. Personally, for anything more than a PPL, I would go elsewhere.

Last edited by Trojan1981; 11th Apr 2013 at 00:45.