PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cattle Mustering incl Training, Job Prospects (!) etc etc
Old 18th Feb 2003, 18:22
SFHeliguy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cattle Mustering

All,

BACKGROUND

I'm just another corporate dingaling thinking about quitting his day job and flying for a living. I've got about 200 hours single engine fixed and just got my heli add on in R22's and have about 70 hours in R22s. I'm planning on purchasing and commuting in an R22 this year so by this time next year, I'll have around 200 hours R22 and 400 hours TT. I also plan to get my commercial license this year.

PROPOSED PATH

Next year, I'm going to be looking for the best way (or if there are any ways) to get a bunch of commercial time and build hours. I'm not as interested in the CFI route but will do that if it's the only way. I'm hoping instead that with the hours above, I can give a try at cattle mustering or some other time building activity. I'm thinking cattle mustering because (from what little I know) it sounds like:

- It's all done in R22's
- It's nasty conditions (so all of you that have the hours won't bother)
- It pays kinda lousey

QUESTIONS

1. Is 400 Total Time with 200 in R22's + FAA commercial enough to get me into a cattle mustering job?

2. Is there another choice that I'm missing?

3. I've heard there's a requirement for a " Mustering & Low Level
Endorsement"? What is it and how do I get it?

4. What kind of conditions should I expect?

5. What kind of pay should I expect?

6. Any other thoughts?

thanks in advance.

matthew