PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK advice please
View Single Post
Old 10th Apr 2013, 19:58
adolf hucker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The key to enjoying life at EK and Dubai, I believe, is having the option to leave whenever you want to. If you move wife, kids and whole life here and are financially dependant on Emirates, then you will feel trapped when the shine wears off or you fall foul of some 'cultural' sensitivity. If you can come over for a look see and have the sense to save a bit of cash, then why not try it for a couple of years - it will certainly be an experience, it might even be a career.
I would not have given up a good job to try it but had no qualms about leaving a certain low-cost airline.

I have to say that in my year and a half here I have yet to meet a colleague who really enjoys the job. Some have few other options (S Africans, Brazilians, Zimbabweans spring to mind). Some are easily impressed by a bit of sun (Brits?), the bling or the fact that their kids are in a 'private school'. Ryanair pilots are just glad to be fed. Most justify being here in terms of the 'lifestyle' it gives them. Unfortunately, for many, that lifestyle traps them into remaining here past their sell by date.

Personally, I find long-haul fairly tedious and incompatible with my desire to live a long and healthy life. I have kicked the ar5e out of the route network, staff travel and Dubai's limited charms and am looking forward to leaving this year. I'm glad to have flown ALL over the world in some great aircraft and even happier that I won't have to do it much longer. One layover in Dhaka is really all you need.

So, no, I would not recommend EK over BA. But, on the other hand, you may want to spend the best 25 years of your life doing 900 hours a year in a wide variety of time zones while devising ever more elaborate ways to pass your free time. Takes all sorts.