PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Senate Inquiry, Hearing Program 4th Nov 2011
Old 10th Apr 2013, 19:43
Kharon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FSF Submission.

Oleo – I too was curious when I saw the FSF 'letter', particularly as I much prefer the IOSA system. However, this is probably not the forum for a 'deep and meaningful' on audit systems. I just wonder if the Senate is desperate for a solution; any solution to the deep dark morass CASA call an audit system (not what I'd call it; but.).

Both the BARS and IOSA systems have 'provenance' (for want of a better word) are internationally recognised and may be 'legally' defended. By that I mean to say, had Barrier for example, been a BARS compliant operation, CASA could not have cleaned them up as easily as they did; not that they could not, but it would have been more difficult and challenged the CASA mess openly.

Both systems help provide solutions to identified potential problem areas, are clearly defined and more importantly; the auditors are properly trained and qualified in the system. They are not a bunch of ex industry whatever's turned loose with some paperwork and a mission statement. Shades of FAA audit there me'thinks.

The FSF letter (IMO) is a yardstick of sorts for the Senate. Sen. Fawcett probably has forgotten more about 'audit' quality check lists systems than any CASA FO/ AWI ever knew or was taught. No doubt he is well aware that the current system of audit is only a favourite weapon of choice, reached for when there is a need; it is fluid, flexible and lethal. Some of the more disgusting aberrations used against operators have their roots in the dreaded CASA audit. What the CASA legal and not so legal creatures can spin from a minor infraction is truly mind blowing; whereas with a BARS/IOSA audit the operator knows what is required. Read some of the IOSA briefing material – makes life very simple. The IOSA system cannot easily be manipulated with 'malice and aforethought' to suit a predetermined outcome. I know a couple of companies which are audited about every six weeks on average (it's a rort, but same as insurance a necessary evil), by their clients and it's a no sweat, proactive process which can actually be of great value, improve efficiency and safety outcomes.

Anyway – I waffle. Point is the Senate seems to be isolating the problems surrounding CASA "audit". It's probably not the CASA systems per se, it's the way it is used. Same as the regs.; sure they are prescriptive and clumsy, but used in an honest fashion, they are 'do-able'; the problems start when they are misused to suit. Ask DJ or couple of the operators who have been the selected target of a carefully massaged 'bad' report card, you'll get an ear full.

Selah.

Last edited by Kharon; 10th Apr 2013 at 19:57. Reason: Did anyone water Pete this week??