PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK ATC how does it work
View Single Post
Old 10th Apr 2013, 14:35
Jack_d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UK ATC how does it work

Hi all,

New to this forum and forums in general so apologies in advance.

I have been looking into ATC as a career for a while now and have been trying to do some self study. I have been looking into how ATC within the UK works and I am looking for any advice you may have specific to the UK. Much of what I have looked at seems to be more FAA/US related.

As I understand it, ATC is the control of Aircraft within defined airspace. In the UK FIR EGPX and EGTT define UK airspace.

Each aircraft is fitted with communication devices which transmit to receivers its position/speed/alt at anyone time. (Are the recievers ADS - B and Transponders and are there any others?). Squawk codes are given to the pilots to manually enter into the transponder allowing ATC to identify the aircraft.

It is the job of ATC to control and provide air traffic services (like METAR, TAFS and NOTAMS) to the aircraft at all stages (Pre, Departure/Arrival, En-route?) Which is done by terminal, en-route controllers and assistants.

ATC is achieved throughout the Aircraft's journey by each controller handing over the Aircraft once it is leaving that particular controllers area of responsibility.

One of the crucial roles of ATC is to ensure that Aircraft are separated to the minimum safe distance at all times to avoid collision and the effects of wake turbulence.

Pilots submit flight plans in which they state whether they will fly Visual flight rules or instrument flight rules, which in turns alters how they will be handled by ATC. i.e using IFR pilots will be given an instruction on how to depart, on what heading and alt and then to fly as per the plan?

Each Airport has pre defined approach, departure routes and control zones.

I think thats as far as I have got so far!Again apologies if I have missed anything or have got anything wrong!

Just want to get a full picture on what is involved within the UK in terms of ATC, any help or guidance you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance!!

Jack