PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How did you justify the cost of the PPL?
View Single Post
Old 10th Apr 2013, 08:57
India Four Two

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts
As several posters, have pointed out, it's not just the cost of the PPL, but also the subsequent costs.

I was very lucky in that my training didn't cost me anything (RAF Flying Scholarship followed by joining a UAS), but when I was bringing up a family and money was scarce, I was still able to fly, almost for free, by instructing in gliders and flying tow planes. I'm sure that if micro-lights were available back then, I would have gone that route.

Now that my family is adult and I have more money to spend on (frivolous) hobbies, I am able to do more flying, but I would never be able to justify it in financial terms. The justification comes from the memories I have. Examples of recent memorable flights that will stick with me forever include being 16,000' over Mt. Cook in a Duo Discus, flying a Spitfire and doing a run-in and break in a Vampire.

When I was discussing (not complaining about) the eye-watering costs of warbird flying, a Kiwi pilot friend was quick to point out "Remember, there are no pockets in a shroud, mate."

So my advice to anyone who wants to fly, is find the money and do it. The experiences and memories are worth the costs.