PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stop the Bullsh1t
View Single Post
Old 18th Feb 2003, 15:54
Jetdriver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why don't you send your C.V in anyway it is probably cheaper than the phone call. I have said this before but airlines are often looking to fill whatever vacancies they have with the best and most experienced people they can get. Sometimes a recommendation from someone within the company is helpful but it is the interview that will be normally be the deciding factor.

Airlines like any business modify and change their plans often at very short notice. Being in the right place at the right time is very often the way most people are recruited. Most airlines do not have dedicated recruitment departments and any recruitment falls as an added burden onto people with other full time commitments. It is not unreasonable to accept that these people will not have the time to field phone calls from individuals be they speculative or otherwise. Nor is it required that a company divulges any of its commercial plans concerning recruitment or anything else in response to cold calls from the general public.

I seriously doubt that companies are dreaming up "lies" just to irritate you. In fact if they are telling you anything at all it is indicitive of just how polite the recipiant is being in dealing with your presumably unsolicited request. I suggest you write to everybody you consider a likely target with a concise CV and short covering letter. Use these forums and whatever contacts you may have to keep your ear to the ground. If you hear or suspect that a company may be receptive to a discreet phone enquiry then call them. If it turns out they are not then don't accuse them of "lying". Remember those of us in the business already, got there by using the resources available to us. You stand as much chance of success by doing the same. Wringing your hands and complaining how unfair the world is is up to you but frankly it is uninteresting and not likely to result in very much for you.