PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aaaaagh! Kaspersky bringing FF to snail's pace.
Old 10th Apr 2013, 04:39
Loose rivets
Psychophysiological entity

Location: Tweet Rob_Benham Famous author. Well, slightly famous.
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
Edit: Well, that's strange. After turning it off, and later back on, all the symptoms mentioned below went away! If it was doing something radical behind the scenes, it didn't tell me.

original post:

Doesn't seem to have made much difference with Addons disabled, but turning off Kaspersky from its menu seems to revive the PC - apart from the 1 gig constant memory usage.

Oh, FF'S SAKE! EVEN WITH IT SWITCHED OFF, THE DAMN THING JUST STOPPED EVERYTHING WHILE IT TOLD ME I'D GOT 29 DAYS LEFT. "BUY THE COMMERCIAL" IT SAYS. IT'S ONLY BEEN ON THE COMPUTER A FEW HOURS - AND DON'T THEY KNOW ABOUT THEIR DEAL WITH BARCLAYS? must not shout. must not shout.

I guess I could switch it on and off when needed, but that leaves me vulnerable for hours a day.

If Security Essentials hadn't done so badly in that review I'd go back to that.

One clear example of the extreme overhead is my dear old Word Perfect. It often takes an age to load first time, but when it's been loaded once and is obviously in memory, a second reload (only one running) is in the blink of an eye. A-V on, and it's more like half a minute.

I tried that experiment, and the second one left the logo running in the middle of the desktop and nowt happened for 20 seconds. I'm now the owner of a Sinclair Spectrum.

openvpntray.exe has crashed twice. StackHash_a7aa APPCRASH reported.

I think this is ExpatShield. I use it very rarely, and it was not running but when I do it worked well. It now takes ages to load and then fails.

Memory shown in Task Manager is 3327 tot., and 1.04 or so showing as a constant Used. 351 free. I thought at first this was not normal for my setup, but now I'm doubting my memory. (ho ho) What is this constant 1 gig? I can't see anything to warrant that.

(Malwarebytes was run on all drive partitions before Kaspersky was installed.)

Last edited by Loose rivets; 10th Apr 2013 at 05:51.