PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NPPL(M) and new EASA LAPL - Conversion route?
Old 9th Apr 2013, 23:52
rossmck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NPPL(M) and new EASA LAPL - Conversion route?

Hi - I'm hoping someone can offer some advice as I've spent ages reading a few forum posts (here and elsewhere) along with the CAA FAQs on the subject and am still a little lost.

I previously looked at flight training (having done a few 'trial lessons' in various aircraft) but - whilst many friends around me achieved their PPLs - it's not been financially viable for a while and now that I'm in a position to properly embark on training the whole licensing landscape has changed entirely.

I was pretty sure I'd wanted to go down the route of the NPPL(M), training in a C42, as it was a nice aircraft to fly and the local airfield operating them was by far the friendliest (and most affordable) with the possible option of converting to NPPL(SSEA) in the future.

Ideally I would like to be able to train in something like the C42 but have the option to potentially fly larger aircraft (up to 4 POB at most) in the future (with appropriate training and conversion obviously!) as well as the ability to fly outwith the UK (potentially). There was previously conversion routes from the NPPL to the full PPL that would have allowed this but it seems this is no longer the case for the EASA LAPL ?

I'm sure I'm not the first to be confused by all this - but it's looking like in order to get an LAPL the only route I have really is to train in an EASA Aeroplane (like the PA28) at a different flying club with much higher costs and landing fees etc which would be disappointing, more so if I was left with a license which didn't allow me to fly the C42 that's much closer to home.

Hope someone can offer some advice.