PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Understanding takeoff performance
View Single Post
Old 9th Apr 2013, 22:50
italia458

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hazelnuts and John T,

Thanks for you help! I think I'm understanding it now.

Keep in mind, also, that the calculation which is limiting may CHANGE throughout the takeoff.
If I'm already on the takeoff roll at the limiting weight for performance and obstacles, how would the factor that's limiting change while on the takeoff? Are you considering an engine failure past V1?

I really wish the regulations for Air Taxi and Commuter ops in Canada were as restrictive as an airline operation with Transport category airplanes! In Canada, you can takeoff in a 16,000 lb twin-turboprop airplane (specifically the Fairchild Metro III [SA227-AC]) with 2 crew and 9 passengers (operating as an Air Taxi), without satisfying ASDR, TODR, TORR, and without satisfying obstacle clearance in the event of an engine failure. Still need to satisfy the WAT limits, but the second segment is reduced to 2.0% instead of 2.4% for commuter category airplanes as per CAR 523. You'd also have to ensure you'd be able to maintain the MOCA with any one engine failed, but only if IFR or night VFR. Air Taxi ops in Canada has zero regulations/standards under "Aircraft Performance Operating Limitations" - Commuter ops in Canada has regs/standards similar to Airline ops under "Aircraft Performance Operating Limitations". If anyone is familiar with the Canadian regs, correct me if I'm wrong.

It seems good airmanship would dictate that you plan an escape route for departure if you determine you can't clear obstacles with OEI but it seems it'd be legal to takeoff knowing that you would crash into a mountain if you had an engine failure. One Canadian regulation states: "No person shall operate an aircraft in such a reckless or negligent manner as to endanger or be likely to endanger the life or property of any person." I don't think that applies here though. I wonder if that passengers would want to know this...

Any thoughts on this?