PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK advice please
View Single Post
Old 9th Apr 2013, 22:25
Bindair Dundat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Atis,

The biggest factor really in jumping from the Uk to DXB is whether you have a family or not. If you are single, then, why not? BUT if you have a family it gets far more complicated. We did our obligatory 10 years there but also at a time when command was a "snappy" (as I remember it) 3 years. Having excellent career progression made the decision easier at the time. Now this is not the case, so you really do need to weigh things up.
If it were me with a family, I would say unequivocally, no way. There are just too many things that affect your quality of life with a wife and kids there. Schooling is a real big challenge. The good British schools are next to impossible to get into, and others just feel like expensive bricks and mortar with a revolving door of teachers...not very good I am afraid. Plus it is an utter crap shoot whether the school you get your offspring into, and your allocated company villa are even remotely close together. Your wife could conceivably be spending the better part of her day on the roads in crazy traffic....it is nerve racking and mind numbing and zero quality of life for her.
Our kids were never particularly healthy there. This part of the world has some of the worst air quality (though there is no transparency or reporting around this). Living in air conditioning with the potential for lots of mould makes asthma a real issue for young kids. We spent a fortune on getting our units cleaned and serviced every year and our kids were on so many steroids it boggled our minds.
The weather is nice six months of the year...don't let anyone tell you differently. Once it hots up, it is just hot and solidly uncomfortable from mid-May through to mid-November. Expect to spend the majority of your time in three places - your villa, the mall, the pool. Fine for awhile but gets old quickly. You can pretty much count on spending your entire summer apart from your family when they escape the heat. Rosters and leave are not what they used to be and time out of Dubai with your family during peak leave periods has become an utter luxury as opposed to the norm.
There are many more frustrations that may or may not be an issue to you but really think about how your family would spend the better part of 10 years there.
We are glad to have had the opportunity but completely thrilled to be gone. We were diligent and saved loads and did a lot of travel. Our quality of life is so far superior now, I would never, ever dream of setting foot back in the pit.