PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How did you justify the cost of the PPL?
View Single Post
Old 9th Apr 2013, 20:44
thing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had a small pension kick in a couple of years ago. I have no mortgage or any other debt so I said to the missus offhand one night that I might spend some of the gratuity on a PPL. She said 'Yeah, sounds good' and continued watching the telly.

I needed no further bidding....

Having the money upfront was great, I just flew all the time and had enough money left when I'd finished to do my night and IMC plus about 50 hours of random flying.

I budget £300 a month for flying fees (not landings, medicals, maps that sort of thing) which is either just under 4 hours in a 152 or three in a 28/172 on my own. I usually fly with friends who cost share with me so I'm getting about 6 hours a month in on average, although I've clocked up about 200 hours since I started just over two years ago with the training and what have you.

I've found that the most important thing to consider isn't how you fund the actual PPL but how you fund the flying afterwards. I've noticed some of the guys at the club virtually disappear once they have their license, flying the bare minimum to stay current.

I'm humming and arring about buying a share in an a/c at our club which would reduce the cost down to about £70 ph but I like flying the different aircraft and I guess you would feel obliged to fly the a/c you've got a share in.