View Single Post
Old 9th Apr 2013, 20:22
Jhieminga

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by avionic type
can anyone tell me how many have been broken up and how many are still flying
Yes, see the table at the bottom of this page: RAF VC10s

Originally Posted by Chris Scott
Last year, when Brooklands Museum was celebrating the 50th anniversary of G-ARTA's maiden flight, I heard they sounded out the RAF with the possibility of a flyby. I doubt LHR ATC would have objected, but - for whatever reason - they were unable to oblige.
It was explained by the OC 101 Sqn at the anniversary that all the available VC10s had a task to do that day. A pity, but in a way it was also good to know that the VC10 was still flying around and doing useful work.

Originally Posted by flyawaybird
By the way EAA had five SVC10s which could have been purchased and used by RAF.
By the time the EAA VC10s were reposessed by BAC there were only four left as 5X-UVA was destroyed in an accident in 1972. The remaining four were purchased from BAC by the RAF, see here: The Tanker Conversions
Three of these ex-EAA VC10s are still flying to this day. Only ZA149, ex 5X-UVJ, has been retired a month ago.

Posts #4 and #5 on this thread give some info on the current plans for the VC10s to be preserved. If you want to start a fund for preserving another one I would suggest starting with a five-figure sum as that is the rough amount needed just to get one. Then add a multiple of the starting sum to secure a location to keep the aircraft, conserve it, restore it, etcetera. At this point in time with only a few months left it might be more productive to put all efforts behind the two airframes which already have a shot at being preserved: XR808 at Cosford and one at Bruntingthorpe. Or support the museums which already have one to ensure that those airframes are kept for a future generation.

Just my two cents.

Last edited by Jhieminga; 10th Apr 2013 at 09:32.