PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The CAA is not fit for purpose
View Single Post
Old 9th Apr 2013, 19:59
victor papa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have no issue with the British CAA or EASA, but I do sometimes wonder what happened to the original mandate of any CAA? What happened to enhancing and enforcing aviation flight safety? These days even if it is a proven massive improovement in safety it gets no where often due cost of certification, red tape, by the time it is certified there is much safer options due the time delay etc. I agree there must be systems and procedures etc, but then I think we have reached the point where there is just to many complications and we forgot that for every problem there is a solution instead creating more and more reasons why we can not to avoid accountability for incase because aviation is about avoiding being sued now. What happened to keeping it simple and keeping aircrew and aircraft flying safely? Our primary concern these days are Quality meetings, SMS meetings, HR meetings, CAA meetings etc and by the time all those personnel are paid there are no funds for plts and engs. Example, how much time does a engineer spend these days on a aircraft vs paperwork, admin, etc to avoid accountability?

I have no particular issue with anyone, but I for one am getting scared of a CAA being discussed as a business unit, operators are money, engineers have to think about cost before fixing etc despite all the paperwork and procedures. Who is actually looking after safety and the aircraft if all is focussed on paperwork, timesheets and invoices?

Just asking