PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The blessed Margaret ..
View Single Post
Old 9th Apr 2013, 18:46
Courtney Mil

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts
I have no intention of getting into further debate just now, she only died yesterday. And I do recognize that there are plusses and minuses to every life. Alwayslooking up, I am not singling you out here, my comments are broader and my point is a general one. I hope you don't mind me using your last comment there as purely an example.

It’s just that there’s too much else about her time as PM that I really can’t get past, and it would appear from news coverage since yesterday morning that I’m not alone. It would seem in death she is just as capable of polarising opinion as she was when alive and in Government! Maybe that’s not such a bad legacy.
There are plenty of people about whom I share very similar views. My point was (and I accept that I may not have made it clearly) that we are habitually respectful of the recently deceased in this forum as most of us are sadly accustomed to losing good (and other) people. But unlike fora such as Jet Blast or hundreds of other internet sites, we have a code of respect and a sense of when the time is right to criticise. Do you ever see anyone here react to the announcement, for example, of an Air Force pilot (any air force) by starting to pontificate about their faults. This is no different. Just because she was a public figure, that does not confer on us the right to start offering criticism. Not just yet.

After a respectable period, feel free to start a thread along the lines of "Maggie, was she really that great?" or whatever suits your fancy - as long as it's relevant to this forum.

I don't think I want to say any more on the subject except, again, I am NOT singling you out, Alwayslooking up.