PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The blessed Margaret ..
View Single Post
Old 9th Apr 2013, 18:33
alwayslookingup

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
CM, I too am happy that what you’ve said is well said and heartfelt. I’m sorry if you’re disappointed at the turn this thread has taken, but for me personally the almost canonisation of Mrs Thatcher was a bit too much to take.

I’m more than happy to accept many of her good points. She was highly intelligent, an Oxford graduate who’d held down a position in industry before entering the fiercely competitive (and largely male) world of politics. This is way more than our current crop of leaders has done. One might consider the Conservative party one of the more chauvinistic parties at the time of her succession to its leadership, but she was still able to become its leader.

I also genuinely believe she had a caring and compassionate side, as I believe she anguished over the injuries and deaths sustained in the Falklands conflict, just as I believe she believed what she was doing to be right. And I do feel a sense of remorse over the passing of a fellow human being.

It’s just that there’s too much else about her time as PM that I really can’t get past, and it would appear from news coverage since yesterday morning that I’m not alone. It would seem in death she is just as capable of polarising opinion as she was when alive and in Government! Maybe that’s not such a bad legacy.