PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - France: la gloire de ses armes
View Single Post
Old 18th Feb 2003, 13:56
shack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have tried to keep out of this apart from a couple of small interjections because I am, so to speak between the devil and the deep blue sea. I am British by birth but having decided to retire to France I have taken French Nationality, so in many ways I can see both sides of the arguments. I find it somewhat distressing that certain people descend to insults and sly remarks so before either Tickety Boo or Training Risky ask, no my Daddy did not pay for my ATLP and I had over 5000 hours in the RAF, Meteors, Vampires, Sabres, Shackletons etc., yes I have been shot at, yes I have worked with the French, remember Suez? and I managed a bucketful of hours after leaving the Service.
One would be a fool not to admit that the France had a problem in 1940 but how much of that was down to incredible bad leadership. Think of names like Closterman and Saint-Exupery and countless others who fought in the Battle of Britain, were they all worthy of your cheap shots. It would appear that according to some of our number, that disagreement with ones own personal views is a) not allowed and b) deserving of insults.
I know that were I still in the Service and was told to go, I would go but I am not so I can afford to sit back and think. No, I do not disagree that there are terrible things that have happened and are happening in Iraq but what about the Zimbabwe's and the other problem African States. It is my own personal opinion that our TransAtlantic cousins have got themselves to the point where regardless of any "evidence" or lack of, they cannot now back out and Blair is in the same boat. I am sure that I am like a large proportion of many countries populations, show the evidence and you will be backed but continue to appear to fabricate it and there will only be disbelief. So the French leaders say No to an immediate war and say more time is needed by the inspectors, it would appear that is also the opinion of many people in many countries, judging by the demonstrations throughout the world on Sunday, or do they not count in your equation?

I realise that the Baron Rouge can stick up for himself but how many of his critics could write what he has written in French?

Oh! Well back to the red plonk and foie gras, no point in living in the Périgord if you cannot enjoy it!!