PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Principles of rocket thrust
View Single Post
Old 9th Apr 2013, 03:18
Obidiah

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Yes that would be my understanding, 3rd law is the principal player and the force is measurable in convential terms ie. lbs. newtons, etc.

To me it would appear clear, a drifting space vehicle fires its rockets, its combuster/nozzle array is spring attached within a plenum housing.
The feed in fuel pipes are flexible so the combuster is free to wobble on its springs.

As the rocket powers, the nozzle/combuster assembly strains against the mounting springs and drags/pushes/pulls, how ever you have assembled this in your mind, but it transfers the thrust to the main body via the springs and hi ho Cisco we're off.

But I could be wrong, one does not disagree with a Professor lightly.

"Thrust' is not a pushing force, it merely denotes movement." to quote the Professor. So the search is for an example of such, the rocket in space has been put forward.

As I read through the great weight of text on this subject i become aware of drawings which I already knew of. These show magnitude arrows on the inner and outer surface of the combustor/nozzles, the inner being greater, proof positive perhaps from those that explain the theory. But what is the magnitude of this force? Calculus will take me there I guess but not my forte. I am also drawn to comments regading optimised pressure on the bell and it does not appear high, I wonder is this pressure a simple correlation such as wing loading or is there more at play here.