PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-35 Cancelled, then what ?
View Single Post
Old 8th Apr 2013, 19:00
Engines

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PhilipG and others, perhaps I can help here:

The F-35B has a Key Performance Parameter (KPP) that calls for it to be able to do a VL with a set load of weapons and fuel. That KPP was carefully decided to allow it to bring back a full internal load of weapons with enough fuel for two goes at an IMC landing on board ship. Incidentally, that's quite a lot more (as a fraction) than many famous naval and land based aircraft.

The KPP applies over a full (US defined) range of temperature, but the UK requested that LM look at ways to bring the KPP load back at even higher temperatures. That has led to investigating SRVLs. The B does not need any changes to landing gear to do these, and the aircraft has a good set of brakes, unlike the Harrier.

The CVF still has the space for an angled deck, all SRVLs would need would be a new set of lines and repositioned landing sight. However, as far as I know the UK are looking at SRVLs straight down the deck.

F-35B is also required to be able to operate from a CVN deck. I don't know if the US have done much serious work on how one might combine STOVL with cat and trap, although I'd expect trying to combine the rigid deck cycles of cat and trap with the more variable STOVL operating cycles to be a bit of a challenge.

That said, outwash from F-35B landing is not especially severe (this assessment based on the fact that I was involved in the early tests and trials on this issue), and I would not see landing a B on a CVN deck to be a big issue.

Hope this helps,

Best Regards as ever to all those who have to try to work these issues,

Engines