PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airservices Australia Psychometric Testing
Old 8th Apr 2013, 13:56
pop4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by greg777
hi looking for general information about the tower course in melbourne. im on the august course.
As mentioned above by stevep64, you want information, read this entire thread. Pretty much every single question you have has been asked and answered in this thread. But hey, I'm feeling nice so...

is it basically mon to fri and what hours 8 to 4 type thing or something else. im wondering if i am going to be able to travel home to cairns on the weekend once a month etc.
Yes, basically Monday to Friday, no weekends, no public holidays, and time off during the xmas/nye period. There are two shifts of approx 07:00 - 14:00 and 11:00 - 18:00. Your course will work one of those shifts for a couple of weeks, i.e. a cycle, and then it could change or stay the same the next cycle, and so on. Chances are, your first cycle will be the early shifts ; you will be told your work hours when you start anyway.

also what is the course structure, is it theory for the first few months then practical or something else?
It starts off with pretty much mostly all classroom theory stuff, then moves onto a mix of theory/simulator work and then mostly simulator work with random theory stuff thrown in once in a while.

is there a lot of study after hours not that i mind.
It's adult learning and what you do after hours is up to you. But keep in mind, there is A LOT to learn and understand, in not a lot of time, and it is up to you to put in the effort and time, however much that may be. If you want to make it though, partying and going out every night is not advised.

what are the areas like to live west of the airport around keilor , taylor lakes and burnside heights, are these new type suburbs and nice?
They're pretty much all newish suburbs and you probably should be able to get to work within 30mins if you lived in those areas, but other than that, I can't really tell you much about them.

when do you find out where you will be posted and do you get to state preferences
You can certainly let the staff know your preferences, but at the end of the day, you're going to be posted to where you're needed, and that means at any of 27* control towers around the country, including Broome, Alice Springs and Karratha.

*there's actually 28 control towers around the country, but the chances of an Ab-intio being posted to the Hamilton Island control tower is pretty much zero. But then again, the company that you will be working for has done some strange things.

Last edited by pop4; 8th Apr 2013 at 13:57.