PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bye Bye Aeropelican
View Single Post
Old 8th Apr 2013, 13:00
Rod Chapman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes Belmontboy, it will indeed be a sad occurrance if what you say is true !
It was only 4 weeks ago, we had a wonderful reunion of present and former staff of "the Duck" with 120 people returning to relive great memories and renew old friendships.

Aeropelican was a unique operation where the staff were like family and very few left because it was such a wonderful work environment with great pride and loyalty to the Aeropelican name. I feel priveleged to have been associated with Aeropelican and those I spent many years working with.
It was quite poignant that we had the reunion, for I had heard that it may not be too long before "Aeropelican" would disappear from the Australian aviation scene - I did not make mention of it at the reunion for it would have been a negative on what was a most enjoyable weekend.

It was 1959 when a man of great vision and determination (Keith Hilder), began cutting the airstrip out of the Pelican swamp, and in 1962 made the first flight from the strip.
1971 saw, I think, the first "Reg.203" licence in Australia granted to Aeropelican and in 1976, Aeropelican was the first "Supplimentary" airline to introduce turbo-prop aircraft to it's operation ; VH-MMY a former MacRobertson Millar 100 series Twin Otter.

So it is that 54 years of an iconic brand down the drain - so very sad.