PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ferry Flights(merged)
View Single Post
Old 18th Feb 2003, 10:10
JJflyer
ZbV

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yip.

USed to do a lot of ferrying before. Post 911 has caused a decline in work around this field. There used to be times when a company I worked for would deliver more than 10 aircraft a month.

Insurance requirements are the biggest obstacle for one to get into this business. Learning curve is steep and insurance companies know of the dangers. I have lost 2 firends in crashes and been close to ditching myself twice. An aircraft I declined as unairworthy was flown by someone else and it ditched killing the pilot.

Another problem is that there are so many pilots around that are willing to do this to build hours that getting paid for flying can be very difficult if you are not a required crewmember. And then when you are work is seasonal and totally dependent on aicraft movements. If no aircraft are moved there is no work and remember you only get paid when you do fly.

911 brought additional security requirements that have made aircraft deliveries even harder regarding paperwork and clearances when dealing with US of A.

But it was fun a lot of time... Flying with your friends into plases like Narsarsuaq or Sondre Stromfjord or Iqaluit... How about a few days in Buenos Aires. Breakfast in Guam, dinner in Pohnape. Sydney, Cairns, Los Angeles, Albuquerque, Vero Beach, Seattle, Cape Town, Dubai,Dakar, Shannon, Reykjavik and Sveinns FBO there