PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SAVE OUR SERVICES (SOS) _ SDSR 2015
View Single Post
Old 8th Apr 2013, 11:16
Old-Duffer

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts
SAVE OUR SERVICES (SOS) _ SDSR 2015

During his recent visit to Scotland, the Prime Minister indicated that the MOD would not be exempt from the next round of cost cutting, which is apparently due in two years time: SDSR 2015?

The Defence Secretary has stated that he will fight this but presumably in a post-Afghanistan era, it will be argued that the forces are still too big and need further trimming against their future perceived role – whatever that might be.

Although the armed forces are generally well regarded by ‘Joe Public’, I don’t believe the regular bleating which follows changes/cutbacks etc will ever really strike home unless the general populace are made to see the dire state of the forces. That might come if the services were to suffer a major setback on operations but it also might come from the MOD taking an axe to some of its scared cows. What might those cows be? I offer some thoughts but there must be others if not aplenty, certainly worth looking at.

1. Disband the Red Arrows or transfer their funding to somebody else.
2. Withdraw the Household Division from all public duties, disband the mounted regiment, withdraw all horses, scarlet uniforms etc and guns and limbers.
3. Sell HMS Victory and failing reaching the reserve price, remove all funding and scrap the vessel.
4. Disband all service bands.
5. Withdraw all support and any ‘hidden’ funding for charitable activities such as the Fairford show.
6. No public allowances for the purchase of service mess kit for officers on commissioning.
7. Disband BBMF and sell the aircraft.

Before I am lynched for this heresy, thrown in the Tower or struck from your Christmas Card list, it will be obvious that something has to give and if not the above, where will the cuts come from?

Thoughts on a postcard!!

Old Duffer