PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas bomb scare
View Single Post
Old 8th Apr 2013, 11:01
Pucka

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hownow et al.. didn't mean to take a swipe at LCC crews but its the industry generally..whether its a bus conversion or a 777...sadly, its all about need to know, not what is best practice to know. In some legacy carriers, the crew don't even need to check the gear pins FCS!! as long as the AML was annotated correctly..all is well and checked: besides the fact that some outfits install maintenance pins without feathers, or even wooden blocks..! i recall the latter was a snag a few years ago with a Virgin 340 on approach to LHR!! sadly, its all about taking the authority FURTHER away from the flight deck and allowing the decision processes to be made by non pilot staff who think they can rise to an eventual bonus tree, whilst tech crew can continue to suffer professional sluffing at the coal face to mitigate reduction in salary and T &C...The fuel nazi's as an example with more than CFP fuel, irrespective of wx alternates etc: MEL's that are superceded by ground maintenance overrides: minimal sector training for new F/O's during weather seasons that require larger bollocks...etc. Pilot managers have lost all sense of reality..mitigated partly by sound airframes and their reliability, I agree, but non the less...as I recall, in those heady early days of first type training, when engineers delivered the pre exam tech schooling..woe betide those who didn't know the TR ratings or limits to a genset before it tripped: battery ratings and thermal runaway criteria! ask that to a newbee and I would hazard a guess that many, as on my fleet would have no idea where the battery was or even what a thermal runaway actually was!!..people..its the world of CTC and where the merchant shipping world used to be, 30 years ago. Enjoy the ride!!