PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Has there been a change in consumer attitudes towards flying since Sep 11 2001 ?
Old 18th Feb 2003, 09:27
BRUpax

Received 17 Likes on 3 Posts
I was a regular (mainly leisure) traveller between Europe and the USA and within the USA on two or three occasions per year since the mid seventies. I had returned from Chicago through Washington DC on UNITED only days before 911. The impact of 911 hasn’t detered me from flying but, at present, it has detered me from returning to the USA. This is purely because of the paranoia which, in the name of security, has engulfed US airports and the so many incredible stories of pure stupidity by job’s worth security staff. (Grandmothers being stripsearched, senior citizens of eighty plus in wheelchairs being given the third degree etc). I still fly regularly inside Europe and find it relatively trouble free. Furthermore, there’s no need for checking-in two hours prior departure for a short 45 minute hop! Should this begin to happen here (in Europe) I would change to the car and/or train as my mode of transport. Bottom line: Yes, of course, I want security; however, it should be objective, well-organised and run by personnel who have both a personality and a life!