PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Senate Inquiry, Hearing Program 4th Nov 2011
Old 7th Apr 2013, 21:56
Sunfish

Received 90 Likes on 33 Posts
"Scores" or box ticking is an old consultants trick often made up to achieve a desired result, done it myself.

The "STI" (what does that mean?) is meaningless in a Court of Law, or anywhere else for that matter, unless and until the regulator can produce a peer reviewed scientific study, backed by serious statisitcal research which proves conclusively that there is a direct causal link between the STI score of an organisation and the probability of a safety incident or accident involving that organisation. I assume CASA has published such a study.

It isn't rocket science, the medical industry has developed dozens of such "scores" that are used to predict outcomes and hence treatment regimens - for example, my partners cancer was scored as "3C" on the Duke University scorecard which meant that she was having Six months on a prescribed Chemotherapy regimen on the basis that a study of some 5000 patients indicated with a high level of statistical accuracy that such a regimen would produce best results for that severity indicator.

Without that, scores are just mumbo jumbo and a good QC will tear the "system" to shreds in a few minutes if it ever went to court.

Last edited by Sunfish; 7th Apr 2013 at 21:59.