PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Rotary Nostalgia Thread
View Single Post
Old 7th Apr 2013, 18:16
Savoia

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Crewdson Files

In the mid-1950's it looks as if John had a 'brainwave' involving a mobile landing pad (low loader) and a Bell 47. See the video clip below:

The craft in question (an Agusta-Bell) was G-ANZX and was registered to Helicopter Services of 'Picaadilliy' in London. Was this a forerunner to Helicopter Hire one wonders?

Sadly, in 1962, the craft seems to have encountered tragedy at Connington Airfield in Peterborough and was written off on 25th July of that year.

I wish I had kept a note of some of the more memorable names that have cropped-up on this thread. Perhaps if I find the time I shall get round to it. Prior to being bought by Helicopter Services this craft was owned by a Mr 'Timothy Meadows Clutterbuck' of Micklefield Hall, Rickmansworth. Priceless!

John Crewdson's 'helicopter carrier' with Agusta-Bell 47G G-ANZX strapped aboard. The sign on the lorry seems to say 'Surface Transporter Unit' beneath the Helicopter Services name. (Photo: c. 1955, Frank Hudson)

If you look at the landing in the video clip you'll see that John is giving us two for the price of one and it is rumoured that this had something to do with a client that he had recently secured (see below):

John displaying G-ANZX at White Waltham on behalf of a Helicopter Services client in 1955 (Photo: Frank Hudson)

The late great John Crewdson at Gatwick Airport in 1956