PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - He's a nice guy, honest!
View Single Post
Old 18th Feb 2003, 04:02
DESPERADO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not sure whether to be saddened at the naivety, or rejoice in the free speech of our marchers.

We do ourselves and the world a disservice if we hide behind the security council and the UN when it comes to the tough decisions.

As has been stated, apparently >40% of the population accept that action should be taken, but only under the auspices of the UNSC. Does anyone really belive that the UN is an organisation that is capable of making decisions based on anything other than political imperitive. Witness Libya's chair of the Human Rights commission. It would be hilarious if it wasn't so sad. This kind "Politics" makes me sick.

France, so pompous, will do whatever it needs to for reasons that are political only. It sees some mileage in telling the US that it does not have everything its own way. But when it comes to le crunch, the French know that politically they need to be involved, and so they will be. Their cynicism never ceases to astound me. The Germans protest because it is politically expedient for them to do so. Schroder was elected on his anti-US rhetoric and sees no reason to change that winning formula, as his country is going down the economical pan.

What of the Russians and the Chinese? Well if they don't agree with war, then they must be agreeing with the marchers. Err don't think so. Russia and China are against war for Political not morale reasons. They want the sanctions lifted so that they can trade with Iraq. I imagine that many of the marchers still believe the oft spouted propaganda that the sanctions on Iraq have caused the death of countless children, and starvation for many. Somebody needs to remind them that Iraq is quite able to sell oil for food and medicine, but chooses to let its people rot for propaganda purposes. But hey, lets let the weapons inspectors do their job! Give them a chance, they haven't got to big an area to search! The materials may be found (though I have no doubt he has much hidden that will not be found), but the know-how and skills will not be lost and Saddam's WOMD will rise again in the not to distant future.

I don't believe in the UN. I lost my faith at Srebrenica. The inaction and hand-wringing and political gamesmanship that went on there was nothing to do with the rights of the Bosnians and everything to do with the ego's of the 'Liberal' (I hope you are not offended Jacko), ruling classes in Europe. We were weak (and I include the UK in this, John Major should take this shame with him wherever he goes) in the face of hatred and many lives were lost. We cannot afford to be that weak again.

It is easy to fight to do nothing, to fight and argue the case for 'Peace'. Peace is all that matters to the marchers, because the word conjurs the image of a just and fair world where everyone is happy and people live without fear of bombs, utopia in the 21st century.
I say bull****.

Steamchicken, your view is indeed twisted and pessimistic, as well as unrealistic. You would have us watch the Iraqi people rot because we are afraid of becoming a target for terrorists.
The weapons inspectors will do their job well. But does anyone really believe that if we don't go to war, that we can sustain this pressure on Hussain indefinately? In 1, maybe 2, or even 5 years time he will dust off the weapons that he has well hidden. He will build and develop more weapons. He will then deal with the people who have been so arrogant as to set up their own society in the North. He will take back from the Kurds what they have taken, and he will murder them by the thousand. Will you march for the Kurds when this happens? A million people in Hyde park saying that they want peace not war for the Kurdish people, I doubt it? Saddam won't be listening.

It is good to have a cause, but there are so many more worthy causes than peace with Saddam.

It is a cliche to compare Saddam to Hitler, but I truly believe that he has to be dealt with now before he becomes as infamous. There was no UN in 1939. The league of Nations was as impotent as the UN is now. Britain stood up. It cost us dearly, politically and economically, but few would say that we had a choice but to fight.

I respect everyone's right to march. I don't want war either. But peace at any cost. Peace because war is terrible. Peace because the majority of the population think that the UN is the holy grail on international politics and morale arbitor for the world, is no peace at all.

I'm ready to do the job, and I believe that what I am doing is morally right.

As for Arafat. Why is it Jacko, that you continue to spout the old cr@p about him being for peace now. Renounced terrorism. Ready to negotiate etc etc. He has Sharon to face now through his own fault. Barak gave him a chance and he spat it back at him. The Israeli people responded. Arafat has no place at the peace table. He needs to back down. Get his house in order (if the IDF don't demolish it first) and promote peace. If he does this then maybe he will gain some of the moral high ground and the Israeli's will be forced to respond in kind. Until he does this, I am with Israel.

See you in Baghdad.

Last edited by DESPERADO; 18th Feb 2003 at 05:12.