PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Career change – Becoming a commercial pilot
Old 6th Apr 2013, 14:27
LouisPPR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Career change – Becoming a commercial pilot

Hi Guys,

My name is Louis, I live in Newcastle upon Tyne, UK. I’m new to this forum so I apologise in advance if I’ve posted this in the wrong section or if information on this topic is provided elsewhere.

I’m 21 yrs old and have been working within the construction industry since the age of 16. I left school with circa 13 GCSE’s (including maths, English literature/language and triple science) all C-A* grades. I was employed as a Trainee Quantity Surveyor by a major UK construction contractor after finishing. I was sponsored to attend college to complete a National Certification in Construction whereby I achieved a double distinction (equivalent to 2 A’s at A-level). I was then sponsored to enrol onto a 5 year part time BSc (Hons) degree in Quantity Surveying at NorthumbriaUniversity, currently going into my final year and I’m aiming to achieve a first classification degree.

So my question is basically as the title. As I’ve now perused a career in construction, will this hinder my chances in becoming a commercial Pilot and is it too late? I’ve complete about 6 flying lessons at my local flying school (not a lot I know!) and from a young age my heart has always been set on becoming a commercial pilot however cost has always been the major issue. I was planning on applying for scholarship at Oxford Academy or CTC? Would this be recommended?

My main concerns are that my secondary education is completely unrelated to aviation although I believe that the skill sets I’ve learnt along the way will be transferable such as communication and mathematical skills. Also I’m unsure on whether the qualifications I have will suffice when applying for scholarship? Plus will my lack of flying experience (6 lessons) plus my age (21) hamper my chances as I understand most people start my flying at a relatively young age?

I would be extremely grateful for any responses.

Thanks