PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jetstar (and VA) issues towards NZ negoiations
Old 6th Apr 2013, 01:45
fmcinop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So why do the VANZ pilots feel they have been hard done by and shafted (yet again supposedly)?

As I see it they have more to gain out of the deal than anyone else.

With bypass pay for VAI SFO's it was thought that not many if any SFO's would want to move to domestic. I would love to be a 777 f/o on captains wage. This is one reason the protection did not cover VAI Captains or SFO's.. If it did it would have been a very one sided policy.. We can come and fly the 777 based on our seniority but you guys can't come and do the same. Remember the 777 has no protection for its pilots unlike VANZ. All positions are pure DOJ from the seniority list which means no SFO will ever get a 777 command.

I know the policy does not afford protection for wide body aircraft for VANZ, but a: I don't think they will ever get them (both SD and JB confirmed no plans for this) B: if they did my personal thought is they should have first crack only for the guys employed before the integration policy of course.. Just my opinion.

Always inverted.

Your suggestion is exactly the was the policy works. VANZ commands protected for VANZ f/O's and VAA commands protected for VAA f/O's. maybe you misread the policy?
As for the CRFO's not meeting the requirement for a 737 F/O, really? Do you want to guess how many CRFo's have over 10,000 hours, were ex westwind/ Learjet training captains, ex Dash 8 check and training captains, ex Braz training captains, ex 727/767/757 F/O's. the Answer is a lot! sure some are low time but I recall VB hiring 737 F/O's at one stage with little over 1000 hours total and only a CPL. Contrary to popular belief, CRFO's didn't apply for a 777 position because they missed out on VB or were unqualified for a position on a 737. Many applied because they wanted to try long haul and because it was a good opportunity to have a go of a 777.

Last edited by fmcinop; 6th Apr 2013 at 04:01.