PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - France: la gloire de ses armes
View Single Post
Old 17th Feb 2003, 23:51
Jackonicko

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I like winding up Frenchmen as much as the next Brit -

"Why do the French plant trees down each side of their roads?"
"So the German army can always march in the shade."

"Why 'Honor et Patrie' on the war memorials and not 'Cowardice et Collaboration'....?"

etc. etc.

And I really don't like Paris as a city, and feel most unwelcome when I go there. But apart from the jokes, I like French food, French wine, and the French people (outside Paris) who are a friendly bunch. I even find myself with a sneaking regard for the French military, who know how to enjoy themselves, who play hard, and who have often fought alongside us with grit, balls and skill.

And don't I remember that France helped the UK int community in its elaborate sting operation which prevented the Argies from buying extra Exocets during the Falklands war, and scrupulously avoided delivering further weapons during the war?

If Baron Rouge is a former Armée de l'Air Jag pilot he could have fought in an alarming number of campaigns including (but not restricted to) Chad, Mauretania, Desert Storm, Bosnia, or Kosovo - and all in a Jaguar with all the avionics sophistication of a Hunter FGA9, not like the RAF jets at all.

Baron, mate, most of what you take to be deadly insult is banter, so do cool down.

Did you fly with Escadre de Chasse 7 or Escadre de Chasse 11?